What is COVID-19, or novel coronavirus?
The novel coronavirus is a flu-like respiratory illness. While there are many types of human coronaviruses, COVID-19 is a new disease, caused by a novel (or new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans.
COVID-19 and WCPL
U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Indiana State Department of Health
World Health Organization (WHO)
Warsaw Community Schools Health Preparedness Plan 2020
How to Stay Healthy
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
Should I still visit my library?
The CDC advises anyone with flu-like symptons to stay home, and this would be an ideal time to access WCPL's digital collections. Valid cardholders can checkout eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines from Overdrive. Hoopla offers video streaming as well as eBooks, eAudiobooks, and music cds for checkout. RBdigital also has eAudiobooks and eMagazines for checkout and a variety of video streaming possibilities. And don't forget Kanopy as a video streaming option. Contact the Reference Desk (ext. 2236 or email@example.com) if you need help getting started with any of these services.